Sunday, February 27, 2011

Curtains Part 2: Adventures in Elephant Application

As you've probably seen in earlier posts, my generous mother-in-law has taken on a lot of my sewing projects for me. She hemmed the curtains for me and I hung them (without the elephants added) and I LOVE how they look in the room!

curtains_hung-1
Please ignore all the power tools, this was taken last week when the room wasn't as put together.

Some people might look at this picture and say 'what the heck? Why are they sooooo far away from the window? They are basically touching the ceiling!' Observant! If you google how to hang curtains to make a room look bigger, it says to hang them high and wide. By hanging them wide, it makes the window appear so much bigger. I want to allow as much light as I possibly can into the room. The ONE good thing about the mirrored closet doors (see I guess since I have to live with them for awhile I'll spend some time looking for at least one redeeming quality in them) is they are awesome at bouncing the light all around--making for a very bright bedroom! With the room being so small, I'll do anything I can to make it feel not so cavernous! Hanging them high makes the room appear taller. I'm sure some might say that floor length curtains in a nursery is a ridiculous choice, but I'm happy with it. Since I'm totally trying to break the matchy-matchy nursery mold in this room, the last thing I wanted was a generic valance. Not that there's anything wrong with matchy-matchy or bed-in-a-bag-decor nurseries. There are some really cute themes out there. It's just not what I wanted when I envisioned this space. Half the fun for me in this whole thing is hand picking every piece of fabric, every toy, every book, everything really.

elephant_curtain_sample-1

So far all I've done is make the elephant template and make a sample elephant on a scrap that was left over after hemming. I have to say it turned out pretty nice! I was afraid the ink coverage would be cloudy, but it's pretty solid. Though it's pretty easy to apply an elephant, it's kind of time consuming, so this is going to take me awhile. I hope to have the finished product very soon!

judy_walter_curtains-1_web

Judy was just dying to get her Fiddler on the Roof on. Okay, maybe that was me, not her.

No comments:

Post a Comment