Monday, April 11, 2011

My Dear Grandpa

My grandpa passed away on April 4th but I didn't find out until April 6th. He was a very kind and hilarious man. His sarcasm and remarks about my grandma's driving made me laugh every time. He will be greatly missed. I love you grandpa. I was sad that I couldn't make it to the funeral in California. My thoughts are with my loved ones.

Grandma and Grandpa
Grandma and Grandpa Keefer at my wedding May 23, 2009

Here is the obituary I found for him online:

Lawrence Gale Keefer Jr.
Larry, a native of Santa Rosa and one of five Keefer generations in Sonoma County, died April 4, 2011 at a local hospital surrounded by his loving wife, Helen, and family. He was the son of Lawrence Gale Keefer, Sr. and Isabelle Adele Stocker Keefer; father of Tim Keefer, Steven Keefer (Jill), Kathy Lynn and Peggy Marsi; grandfather of Amanda (Ryan), Lindsay (Bryan), Melissa (Ryan), Tim, Sam, Megan and Katie; great-grandfather of Kiley, Boston and Bryan. Larry was the brother of Margie (Joe) Shoemaker, Lydia June (Paul) Davis and the late Les Keefer; also survived by numerous nieces and nephews. He attended Rincon Valley schools, Santa Rosa High School and the university of Nebraska. Larry joined the U.S. Navy in July of 1942 and served on the transport-hospital ship USS Tryon until December of 1945. He re-enlisted and served on other USS ships; Ottawa and Harkness, rising to the rank of Signalman 1st Class. Larry worked for Pacific Telesis for 29 years. In retirement he enjoyed travel, working in his yard and time with family and friends. He loved Santa Rosa and spending the last 46 years in the home his Dad built. Services will be held on Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 10:00 a.m. at Calvary Catholic Cemetery Chapel, 2930 Bennett Valley Road, Santa Rosa. Memorial contributions may be made to the SRJC Foundation, 1501 Mendocino Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95401, Cardinal Newman High School, 50 Ursuline Road, Santa Rosa, CA 95403 or the charity of your choice.

Grandpa
Grandpa and I on my wedding day

No comments:

Post a Comment