Thursday, April 21, 2011

Our Adventures in Cloth Diapering Part 1: The Try Out

Yesterday Boston wore his first cloth diaper. I got a quick pic right after putting it on. After looking and feeling it a bit more, I snapped them even closer. At first I thought it might be too tight but it wasn't, it was just right snapped all the way to the smallest setting.

week_7_April_19_2011_clothdiapers-7

Right now we still only have 7 of these BumGenius 4.0 snap diapers. I looked around and found out that BumGenius is having another buy 5 get 1 free sale! That's how I bought the last ones. I did the deal and added one more diaper for a total of 7 diapers for $104. I'd like to have around 20-24 diapers total, so that we have some breathing room between washes. Boston usually goes through 10-12 diapers in a 24 hour period of time, so if I had close to 20, that would allow some wash and dry time.

Photobucket

I want to start using cloth wipes as well. I'd like to get some material and make my own. I'm not sure what the best kind of material for them is yet so I'll have to research it a bit more.

Photobucket

It's not only important to me not only to be saving a ton of money, but to prevent more diapers from filling our landfills. The estimate is that a single-use diaper takes between 250-500 years to decompose, and more than 27 billion disposable diapers are used every year in the US alone! And finally, over 300 pounds of wood, 50 pounds of petroleum and 20 pounds of chlorine are used to produce the disposable diapers ONE baby needs for ONE YEAR! Insanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment