Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dresser Refinishing: Part 1 Before

I grabbed a few before pictures of the dresser I've been so excited about. Tonight Ryan is going to sand it down (gotta keep the pregnant lady away from all the dust) and I'm going to prime and paint. We'll be doing the same thing with the rocking chair, but I already posted pictures of that awhile back.

NOTE: Yes, I know my garage needs cleaned like no other! I'll be getting to that this spring! :)

dresser_before-3

I think my favorite design feature of this dresser is the shape of the bottom. I think this is going to look nice mixed in with the more modern pieces (like the Ikea bookcase) in the room.
dresser_before-1

dresser_before-6
I love all the detail, it's almost a shame I have to repaint it. I really don't think Baby Boy would appreciate the flowers though! I'm still torn as to whether or not I'm going to use the original hardware when we're all done.

dresser_before-8
My mom bought this dresser in 1994 as part of a set that included a beautiful canopy bed that's in the same style as the dresser, large mirror that is to be hung above the dresser, two end tables and two antique lamps; for a grand total of $150. They are Bassett Furniture and were made in the mid '60s to reflect the French Provincial style.

This dresser sat out on my grandmas porch for many, many years, hence the worn paint around the bottom on the legs. I think it would have stayed in excellent condition if it had lived inside. I'm shocked at how sturdy and excellent the actual bones of the dresser are still in. It's just the cosmetics like the paint that are in need of some help. She still has the bed and the mirror, but the lamps and end tables are long gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment