Monday, February 14, 2011

Lining Dresser Drawers

Ever since getting the dresser, I knew I wanted to line the inside of the dresser drawers. Being an older piece of furniture, the drawers were pretty rough on the bottom and I didn't want anyone getting any slivers or anything to get snagged. I searched everywhere for the perfect paper to line it with. None of the contact paper I saw online stood out to me, and the actual selection of it in stores is a joke--so I opted to use wrapping paper.

It was very hard to find something in the color scheme. Most papers you find have HAPPY BIRTHDAY or something like that written all over them, or they are so themed they scream birthday party. I wanted something modern looking like this:

Photobucket

But at $3.00/sheet measuring 19"x27" it was just too much money!

I finally settled on a baby wrapping paper from Target. I know, I know, I said I didn't want anything in the nursery to scream BABY! But for the price it was the cutest thing I could find. Some might say it's even a bit ahem, girly, but really it's not something that will be seen by many people.

drawer_paper-1

drawer_paper-3

To adhere the paper to the drawers I used Mod Podge.
drawer_paper-7

I layed the paper print side down and traced around the drawer onto the paper. Of course there was some extra, so after cutting the piece out, I put it into the drawer and creased where it met the edge and cut off the excess to make it fit. Then I used that paper as my template for the other five drawers.

drawer_paper-10

I put the paper down in the drawer and folded part of it over, applied the Mod Podge to the drawer bottom and smoothed the paper over it, then did the same thing to the other side.

After doing this the paper looked pretty wrinkled, because of course it was damp on the underside, but as it dried the wrinkles and ripples disappeared and it was flat and smooth. I let them dry 2 hours then brushed the top of the paper with a coat of Mod Podge to seal it into place. Wait 2 more hours then one more coat.

drawer_paper-11

drawer_paper-13

How cute is that? I'm glad I lined the drawers. Mod Podge is water based and non toxic, so it won't ruin or stink up the baby's clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment