Sunday, February 12, 2012

Boston's 1st Birthday Party: Planning and Supplies

It's already that time of year. I know it's very cliche' when you hear people say "they grow up so fast", but they really do. This last year FLEW by faster than any other year of my life. Maybe because it's been the best year? The love I have for that little man just can't be measured. I find myself excited (though usually exhausted) every morning to get up, go into his room and see that beautiful smiling face beaming up at me. No gift could be better than an average day with him.

boston_bday_supplies-3

And so starts the party planning. I know, I know, he won't actually REMEMBER his first birthday. But he will be able to look back on it in the pictures taken. I wanted to do something fun, yet not go too crazy in the cost department so I combined a few of my favorite things...thrift shopping and vintage things. There really is a LOT that goes into planning a party. I joke that I have planning ADHD when it comes to the ideas. Everything looks cute, or fun, or neat. The hardest part for me is picking a theme and then trying to stick to it with all the details.

boston_bday_supplies-5

Here's a rundown of the theme and my process so far:

1. The first thing I did before I did any shopping or too much planning even was to go on Pinterest. I started a birthday ideas board. I spent quite a bit of time perusing the world wide web to get an idea of some of the things I could do. I already had a vintage owl theme in mind so I did a lot of googling. The color scheme is Dark blue, baby blue, orange, dark gray, light gray, tan, brown, and other neutrals.

2. Once I had the theme nailed down and some ideas under my belt I "shopped my house". I went around looking for things that fit the theme or that could be used as party decor. Boston already had a few vintage owls in his room (his theme in there was vintage meets modern and lots of animals). I actually already had quite a bit of what's seen here.

3. I went on a few thrift shopping excursions. I always love having a good excuse to go thrift shopping. I really detest shopping for other things, but I LOVE thrift shopping. You just never know what you'll find!

4. I took a trip to Joanne's Fabric and got the card stock paper. I'm going to make a few owls out of it.

I still need to figure out every little thing I'm doing and all the supplies and time that go into each thing. That's the hard part for me. I want to do EVERYTHING. I need to edit down the ideas and make a few good ones shine.

boston_bday_supplies-6

boston_bday_supplies-10

boston_bday_supplies-11

No comments:

Post a Comment